Monday, September 17, 2012

Salary Increase over funding for schools.... Hmmmm



        I was reading The Texas Tribune today, September 7,2012. I found an interesting article:"Texas Schools Chief Michael Williams Will Make $215 K"  containing in depth information about Governor Perry appointing Chief Michael Williams the Commissioner over Texas schools. I thought it would be of interest to you. Governor Perry increased the salary of this position from $186,300 to the current salary of $215,000. The salary increase of about $29,000 over his predecessor, the governors’ office confirmed. I truly think that the raise that was given to Chief Michael Williams came from the money we saved from closing our children’s schools. Or did it come from the Rainy Day Fund? I have an issue with this.The schools are overcrowded and I truly believe that this makes it more challenging for the children now and in the future  to get a proper education.

2 comments:

  1. The Ears of Texas has heard your article and I'm interested! I want to know what you think about the fact that he has VERY limited education experience. It seems peculiar to me that, amidst the lawsuits and allegations against how TX funds public schools, Perry would appoint(nominate? an Education Commissioner that doesn't understand, occupationally, what it is like to BE a teacher! What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am appalled that Perry would nominate an inexperienced Railroad Commissioner to be the Education Commissioner for our state. Then on top of that give the man a raise. In my opinion I really do not think that a lot of thought goes in to much of the decisions that Perry makes these days.I think the show that Perry put on in his run in the national election proved how competent he is behind the scenes. Hopefully someone runs against him this next election so we can make the necessary changes to right the wrongs with the funding for public schools here in Texas.

    ReplyDelete